Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Colorado: Part One

I went to Colorado to visit Reese last weekend. 

2 days and 3 nights was not nearly enough. 

I flew by myself for the first time. That was pretty terrifying since I'm very afraid of heights. One of my closest friends brought me to the airport after I treated him to lunch (though I barely ate due to nerves). I felt ill when we reached the airport and parked. I started thinking that I may have a panic attack the moment the plane was off the ground. What grown adult is afraid of flying when they've flown multiple times before? I'm certain now that my nerves were due to being alone. I'd always flown with a parent before (the last time being with my father to New York to meet up with my sister and stepmom). We got there earlier than planned so I asked him to stay with me before I had to go through security. The airport here is like a mall; so many stores with whatever you were looking for. 

Well, I found a Lush store.

I had been teasing Reese about getting a bath bomb for when I got there so baths could be taken to warm us up from the cold; me being from Florida my whole life, I'm prone to get colder faster. 

So we went into Lush and my nerves seemed to melt away. There is a power in scents that can calm your soul, your anxieties. We smelled some bath bombs, masks, soaps, everything, and I did end up buying a bath bomb. (They're TSA approved!) We saw that the line for security was getting quite long and parted our separate ways after telling him I would text him when I was on the plane. Security was long, but not tedious. I had flats, leggings, and a loose sweater on so it was quick and easy once I got to the scanners. I did get patted down on the legs cause my leggings bunched up but was quickly sent on my way. 

I found my gate easily after taking a tram and sat and waited until they let us board. 

The flight was pretty great. I watched most of Fear the Walking Dead since I hadn't finished it before. Barely any turbulence; and my flight was at night so I couldn't see how high we are. I think that, mentally, it helped me forget we were 30,000 feet in the air. I followed the tracker on my tablet; watched as we flew over Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and finally entered Colorado. I could barely stay in my seat I was bouncing so much to see the lights, and maybe the mountains, as we landed. 

Thankfully, I was in row 11 for my flight there, so getting off the plane was quite easy. I grabbed both my carry-ons and walked to the front of the plane. Remember, I'm wearing leggings, flats, and a loose sweater. I can feel the air get colder from the breeze creeping in between the open door and the jet-bridge. 

"Holy shit it's cold!" 

The pilot laughed at me. "Welcome to Colorado!"

Navigating a new airport by yourself is interesting. Thankfully, it was easy enough, but more trams than necessary made me nervous that I was heading in the wrong direction. Reese had told me he was in the "main lobby." I did not know what that meant. But I knew that I had something to look for at least. So, I took the tram, went up two escalators, and saw a very large, open area filled with a bunch of people. 

And I saw him.

And I hugged him so hard. 

And the past four weeks melted away. 








No comments:

Post a Comment